Monday, August 26, 2013

PERSONAL SPECIAL...... WORK - LIFE BALANCE


WORK -  LIFE BALANCE
A JUGGLING ACT
 
At some point in one’s career, employees seek a work-life balance arrangement and your employer’s support can make all the difference.
Success stories of a few people who have struck a chord between their work and personal commitments



ATUL AHUJA, director - Microsoft relationship and strategic sales – India Subcontinent, Citrix
THE WORK-LIFE BALANCE ARRANGEMENT:
The ‘mobile’ work style

THE REASONS FOR AVAILING: The earlier way of work was more schedule-driven. The day has now changed to being oriented to a ‘mobile’ style of work, which gives us the flexibility to manage work demands and family needs. It’s been three years since I adopted the mobile way of working. It allows me to work from anywhere and in exactly the same manner as I would at the workplace.
THE SUCCESS RATIO: I have been equipped with the right devices, owing to the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy at Citrix, which allowed me to choose the device of my choice for work. BYOD users access corporate resources through virtualised desktops that are administered centrally. This helps in ensuring that a secure environment is used to access applications and data.
REACTIONS FROM CO-WORKERS: My collaborative capabilities with my local and global colleagues have increased tremendously. They are happy to see that I’m able to address their needs, even when I’m not in office or while travelling.

PALLAVI KELUSKAR, diversity regional manager, Cummins Group
THE WORK-LIFE BALANCE ARRANGEMENTS:
Maternity leave policy; new mother policy; flexi-work hours and part-time work policy

THE REASONS FOR AVAILING: Since the birth of my child in January 2011, I have been availing of a range of policies formulated by Cummins to offer work-life balance. THE SUCCESS RATIO: Availing the policies offered by Cummins has made the transition back to work considerably easy. My transitions from one policy to another also gave the organisation sufficient time to make necessary structural changes in the profile handled by me while ensuring a smooth handover. This has helped me to eventually move into a part-time role and strike a balance between my work and personal duties.
REACTIONS FROM CO-WORKERS: My colleagues who had faced similar issues in their careers guided me immensely during this phase. They have been very supportive throughout this period and suggested solutions to ensure a smooth transition from one work arrangement to the next.

DR RASHMI VYAS, associate director, project management, Cardiac Safety Services, Quintiles MY WORK-LIFE BALANCE ARRANGEMENTS: Work-from-home and flexi-time policies
THE REASONS FOR AVAILING: I was in a client-facing role for nine years with clients based across the globe in various time zones. After spending eight hours at office, I would end up taking late night calls from home or extend my stay at the office to ensure an appropriate set-up for the next day’s client meetings and calls. The distance from home to office and the unpredictable traffic would only worsen the situation. It was a constant juggle between professional and personal life with a lot of stress at the end of the day. There were days when I felt extremely content with my professional achievements, but a feeling of absolute discontent with my personal life.
THE SUCCESS RATIO:
While working from home and flexi-time need discipline, there are several benefits that one can gain and the most significant benefit that I have gained is a healthy work-life balance. I don’t feel stressed anymore, as I have the flexibility to prioritise and plan my work without losing out on my work-life balance.
REACTIONS FROM COWORKERS: Most of my colleagues with customerfacing roles have this option available for them to avail. A few of them had pre-conceived notions initially that such an arrangement could be taxing for them due to my unavailability during standard business hours, but gradually, everyone has recognised the benefits and value of this arrangement.

AMRITA JONEJA, director marketing, Sapient India
THE WORK-LIFE BALANCE ARRANGEMENT:
Temporary flexi-schedule wherein I would come to office thrice a week and work from home twice a week

THE REASONS FOR AVAILING: My need for a flexible work schedule arose post my return from maternity leave. It was getting difficult to balance the almost daily changes in the baby’s schedule.
THE SUCCESS RATIO: I have to say this; I would have had to ‘lean back’ in Sheryl Sandberg’s words, if it weren’t for Sapient. My husband and I have little support at home in terms of parents or siblings who can pitch in for child care; hence, the flexibility as mentioned above ensured that I not only continued to work, but also perform a senior role with due focus and involvement. The major change at work has only been with respect to travel schedules, which I believe I have been able to rationalise to a great extent.
REACTIONS FROM CO-WORKERS: Everybody has been extremely understanding and supportive. At no point was I made to feel that I was missing out on important meetings or decisions, or that my flexi-schedule was hampering others' work. I must add however that the onus of making flexi-schedules successful lies more with the person than the company.

SEEMA NORONHA, senior project manager, HCL Technologies
THE WORK-LIFE BALANCE ARRANGEMENT:
Work-from-home policy, which allows HCLites to spend time outside of work during emergencies

THE REASONS FOR AVAILING: After my maternity leave, I chose to stay longer at home with my baby to take care of her till she was six months old. I decided to use this policy, so that I could stay at home and work while taking care of my baby.
THE SUCCESS RATIO: There has been no major difference, as I was connected with my team and the organisation through MEME, our internal networking platform. Only on occasions where there was a need to meet any project teams in person, my physical presence was required at work.
REACTIONS FROM CO-WORKERS: My colleagues have been very supportive and understanding during the entire period.

Yasmin Taj ETHF130813

No comments: